Exposure of the population to air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions are significantly linked to energy production and consumption activities and have significant consequences for public health, at a local level, and for the climate, at a global level.
This Focus Area aims to promote actions to monitor and improve air quality and reduce emissions of greenhouse gas (GHG) through:
- research and development of new technologies, materials and tools for energy efficiency, reduction of energy consumption, increase of production and use of renewables and biofuels, materials for the sequestration of pollutants in the atmosphere;
- the development of innovative technologies and integrated approaches to support the planning, management and monitoring of air quality in line with the regional plan and the guidelines "Smart Cities and Communities" of the European Commission.
- To identify and promote sectors of Lombardy's industries that operate in energy efficiency, reduction of energy consumption, increase production and use of biofuels and renewable energy, facilitating a circular economic system.
- To carry out a process of aggregation according to the RRI model (Responsible Research and Innovation), promoted by the European Commission.
- To encourage participation in research and development projects in the sector, also promoting initiatives at regional, national and European level.
- To encourage the adoption of an integrated approach in the management and planning of air quality and the containment of GHG emissions.
- To enhance regional lobbying on Energy and Environment.
- To promote the preparation of calls to face the challenges of the sector at the Lombardy Region.