R-ACES, fRamework for Actual Cooperation on Energy on Sites and Parks, is a 30-month European project (2020-2022), of which LE2C is a partner. It is funded by the HORIZON 2020 programme and responds to the call EE-6-2019 "Business case for heat/cold recovery from industrial waste".
The project stems from considerations about the large amount of energy and fuel dispersed during production in various resource and energy intensive industries. While many technical advances have already been made to reduce the energy consumption of major industrial processes, significant parts of the incoming energy are still lost in the form of heat/cold from gas, liquid or solid streams. It is often forgotten that the heat/cold waste of a given industry can be a valuable resource for other industries, buildings and district heating and cooling operators.
The objective of R-Aces is to develop and test tools to facilitate the effective implementation of energy cooperation, heat recovery and exchange, in order to support high potential industrial parks to become EcoRegions that reduce energy consumption by at least 10%. An Eco-Region is an area where various companies and actors exchange energy, materials and information to reduce waste and energy/material consumption.
In order to support industrial parks in becoming an Eco-Region and create a significant energy collaboration, the consortium will develop three specific tools:
- An intelligent energy management platform (to facilitate the energy exchange).
- Performance assessment (self-assessment of the current level of energy cooperation and further possibilities)
- Guidelines for legal decisions in contracts between parties undertaking an energy collaboration
These instruments will be primarily validated in three pilot regions: Lombardy, Nyborg (Denmark) and Antwerpen (Belgium).
LE2C will be directly involved in the creation of the Lombardy Eco-Region, identifying energy-intensive industries, involving a network of stakeholders and supporting the production system in the application of the tools designed by the project.
The consortium is composed by 8 European partners representing the whole value chain necessary to foster energy collaboration (suppliers, ESCOs, clusters):
- Institute for Sustainable Process Technology (Network organization, the Netherlands), (Coordinator)
- Lombardy Energy Cleantech Cluster (Italy),
- Spinergy (ESCO - Italy),
- Clean (Energy Cluster Denmark),
- Condugo (Energy Management Consultancy Agency - Belgium),
- Dowel (Innovation accelerator - France),
- European Science Communication Institute (Non-profit organisation for scientific dissemination - Germany)
- POM (Provincial Development Agency Antwerp - Belgium)
VISIT THE WEBSITE https://r-aces.eu/